Betsy Johnson Welty attended Occidental College, majoring in fine art, with a focus in painting. She was editorial illustrator, cartoonist and graphic artist for the campus newspaper during her student years and art directed the college's publications after graduating. She returned to Denver to work in advertising and eventually opened her own graphic design studio. Along the way, Welty garnered numerous honors and awards, including a State of Colorado Governor's Citation.
Throughout her design career, Welty incorporated illustration into much of her work and continued to paint. In recent years, Betsy has devoted herself full time to painting, studying at the Art Students League of Denver and also with Kevin Weckbach in his Master Class. Other teachers include Mark Daily, Susie Hyer and Jordan Wolfson. Welty paints en plein air and in the studio, in both watercolor and oil.
Welty’s art has appeared in state and national juried art exhibitions. Her painting, Observatory Nocturne, was selected for a 2011 poster commemorating the 125th anniversary of Denver’s University Park neighborhood.
- 2016 Honorable Mention, Evergreen Artists Association Annual Juried 2016 Colorado Artists Show
- 2011 Best of Show, Paint, Sculpt, Shoot Plein Air Invitational, Center for the Arts, Evergreen
- 2010 Honorable Mention, Denver Plein Air Arts Festival
- 2010 Honorable Mention, Paint, Sculpt, Shoot Plein Air Invitational, Center for the Arts, Evergreen
- Associate, Women Artists of the West
- Plein Air Artists Colorado